Black chalk, signed and dated Lloyd 29; 213 x 155 mm.
Lloyd studied in Livorno, from 1894 to 1899. Afterwards he followed Fattori's courses at the Accademia di Belle Arti, in Florence. He exhibited for the first time in 1897, at the Exhibition of the Promotrice Fiorentina. In 1904, following a brief stay in Venice, he moved permanently to Florence, a town which, at the turn of the twentieth century, was a thriving artistic and cultural centre. Lloyd, together with other artists from Livorno, joined the coterie of artists including Costetti, Gemignani, Enrico Sacchetti, Andreotti, Luigi Michelacci, Giuseppe Graziosi, Soffici and Spadini. In the early years of the century Lloyd painted mainly landscapes using divisionist technique. At the 1907 Promotrice fiorentina he exhibited in the Secessionist room. In 1914 he exhibited at the Rome Secession with the Giovine Etruria group that advocated reviving Tuscan art that had deteriorated into repeating late Macchiaioli canons. In 1922 in Florence Lloyd showed his works at the Fiorentina Primaverile and in 1923, with Soffici, Primo Conti, Baccio Maria Bacci, Ottone Rosai and Ghiglia at the Mostra della Corporazione delle Arti Decorative. From 1931 to 1939 he exhibited five times at the Galleria d’Arte Firenze, and regularly showed his works in Livorno.