LUIGI CONCONI (Milan 1852 - 1917) LA CASA DEL MAGO (The house of the magician)
Etching, 1880; a fine impression of the first state of two, richly and skillfully printed, working on the surface tone with monotypic effects, on strong ivory wove paper. Signed LConconi in the film of ink left in the plate in wiping. With large margins, in very good condition. To the platemark 383 x 275 mm, the entire sheet measuring 630 x 460 mm. See M. Bianchi, G. Ginex, Luigi Conconi incisore, Milan, 1994; cat. no. 7.
The print shows the interior of the desecrated Milanese church of San Vincenzo in Prato, turned into a chemical factory. The decay of this building has been repeatedly depicted by Conconi in paintings and etchings. See, for example, the etching Le streghe.