LUIGI CONCONI (Milan 1852 - 1917) LE STREGHE (The witches)
Etching, 1880; a fine impression, richly and skillfully printed, working on the surface tone with monotypic effects, on thick wove paper. Signed LConconi in the film of ink left in the plate in wiping. With large margins, minimal defects in the margins, otherwise in very good condition. To the platemark 188 x 143 mm, the entire sheet measuring 650 x 465 mm. See M. Bianchi, G. Ginex, Luigi Conconi incisore, Milan, 1994; cat. no. 12.
The print shows the interior of the desecrated Milanese church of San Vincenzo in Prato, turned into a chemical factory. The decay of this building has been repeatedly depicted by Conconi in paintings and etchings. See, for example, the etching La casa del mago.