A pupil of Luigi Comel at the Scuola Reale Elisabettiana in Rovereto, Luigi Bonazza moved to Vienna in 1897, where he enrolled at the Kunstgewerbeschhule. There he studied painting with Felician von Myrbach and Franz von Matsch, absorbing the culture of the two Secessions. He returned to Trento in 1912, where he was a cofounder of the Circolo Artistico Trentino. Not to be called to serve in the Austro-Hungarian Army, Bonazza fled to Italy, living in Vizzola Ticino, near Milan. During this period he created watercolors and prints inspired by aviation for Gianni Caproni, the industrial producer of airplanes.
In 1918 Bonazza returned to Trento, where, between 1932 and 1933, he decorated the Palazzo delle Poste.
As engraver, Bonazza has experienced the technique of mezzotint on steel. His most successful series of prints was Jovis Amore, a series of ten prints devoted to the lovers and the metamorphoses of Juppiter.