Mattia Jona, Master Drawings and Prints, Japanese Prints - Piazzetta Guastalla 5, 20122 Milan, Italy, tel (+39) 02 8053315


Libero Andreotti, standing female figure, a virtue

lente

LIBERO ANDREOTTI (Pescia 1875 - Florence 1933) STANDING FEMALE FIGURE: A VIRTUE (Prudence, with the attribute of the snake)
Bronze, with brown patina, c. 1926-27. 29,4 by 8 by 6 cm.
A bozzetto for one of the four cardinal virtues conceived for the Monument to Victory in Bolzano. See O. Casazza, Gipsoteca Libero Andreotti, Florence, 1992; p. 155, no. 43.

Andreotti studied in Lucca, Palermo and Florence. He arrived in Milan in 1906 and was immediately promoted by Alberto Grubicy, the director of the Divisionist gallery, who paid Andreotti a monthly fee for sole representation of his works. This association with Grubicy did bring the Andreotti's name to the attention of leading artists and also to the critical establishment, as well as to the art market. In 1909, Andreotti arrived in Paris where he remained until 1914, deeply influenced by the sculpture of Medardo Rosso. In France the forms and the abstractions of the avant-garde (cubism, futurism and dadaism) appealed less to his sensibility, then did a return to the supremacy of form, typified by the work of Bourdelle and Maillol. In 1914, with the outbreak of war, Andreotti returned to Florence. In Tuscany he turned back to traditional examples, primarily 15th-century sculpture. Spurred on by Ugo Ojetti, the most powerful art critic of the period, Andreotti accepted the commission for the Roncade (Treviso) War Memorial in 1922. Two years later he started work on the memorial in Saronno, near Varese, having won the competition for its design. The third important commission was the monument for the Madre Italiana in Santa Croce, Florence (1924-1926). Between 1926 and 1928 Andreotti worked for the altar of the Monument to Victory in Bolzano, designed by the architect Marcello Piacentini. In July 1927 Andreotti accepted the most prestigious job of his career, two large groups for Milan's War Memorial and Monument to Victory. The two groups The intervention and The return of the hero, were never finished. Only the plaster model of the latter, adorned temporarily in November 1928 (the tenth anniversary of the war) the entrance of the Memorial erected in Piazza Sant'Ambrogio. In 1992 the native town of Pescia opened the Gipsoteca Libero Andreotti a Plaster Cast Museum celebrating the artist. The Gipsoteca offers an itinerary through what was Andreotti's production of plaster casts, carried out before their final translation in sculptures in bronze and marble.

SOLD

if you need more information

back to sculpture page
back to main page
back to the top of page